Friday, October 15, 2010

A Good Workout for Fit Moms -- Zumba Review

I thought Zumba would be fun...and it was really fun! Granted I had some sore hips this morning (I don't think I've used my hips that much since child birth!), but overall it was a great cardio workout.

There were a lot of fun Latin dance moves, so it does take a bit of coordination. But the dance music and  fun props made all the difference. Wearing a skirt of bells was great motivation for all of the hip-shaking!

It's interesting if you compare Zumba to Jazzercise, which also involves a number of dance moves. Back in the 80's when I took Jazzercise with my mom (again, dating myself), the instructors were very big on cues, 8-counts and ensuring you knew what moves were coming next. Not so much with Zumba. I felt like it was more of a free-for-all, and everyone was playing Simon Says as we tried to keep up with instructor. The music was really loud, as if we were in a dance club. So we wouldn't have been able to hear any cues even if we wanted to. I thought it would be frustrating, but it really wasn't. Once you got used to the instructor, the steps became easier and easier to follow.

As with any class, the instructor really sets the tone of the class. However, if you're not confident in your dance abilities, I can see how a Zumba class could be frustrating.

I was drenched in sweat by the end of the workout and had some great laughs with all the belly, hip and butt shaking. I would definitely take another class. It's more like a dance party than a workout.

What do you think of Zumba? And what other classes would you be interested in learning about? I'm contemplating taking a hot yoga class and a Pilates reformer class. What else is out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment