Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Competing in Figure Competitions: An Expensive Hobby

People always ask me, "Why on earth are you doing this?" or "What made you decide to compete?" Ever since I was a teenager, I always read Muscle & Fitness magazine. For some reason, bodybuilding and transforming the body with weight training has intrigued me.

I've been a fitness instructor, a personal trainer, a marathoner and something just kept pushing me towards wanting to compete in some type of bodybuilding contest. About 10 years ago, I found a trainer and began the process. However, at that time Fitness Competitions included a two-minute routine with gymnastics. Nothing is more pathetic than a 25-year-old taking gymnastics with 9-year-old girls. My trainer was mysteriously fired from my gym one day and the whole game plan fell apart. Fast forward to 2012...here I am just three short weeks from getting on stage and finally achieving one of my most desired goals.

However, I never in my wildest dreams realized how expensive this sport is. Here are the expenses I've incurred since I began my journey in mid-March:

  • Competition diet (includes weekly meetings with my trainer) -- $400
  • Gym membership (conveniently located at my job) -- $15/month
  • Tanning -- $12/session
  • Supplements -- $60/month
  • Entry fee -- $90
  • NPC membership -- $100
  • Posing bikini -- $120 (normally $200-$300)
  • Tanning products & posing gel -- $60
  • Cost to be hand-tanned by trainer -- $80
  • Cost for trainer to attend show -- $175
  • 2 one-hour personal training sessions -- $160
  • 5-inch clear heels -- $45
  • Diet food -- $40/week
  • Manicure/pedicure (pre-show) -- $30
  • Hair & make-up (pre-show) -- $100
TOTAL = $2,250 approx.
(March through June)

Holy crap! Needless to say, as much as I would like to continue doing this if I'm successful during this first contest, I really need to consider the costs. My husband has been incredibly supportive and understanding during this entire process. While we can afford it, I do feel a bit guilty that I've spent so much. On the flip side, at least it's $2,250 and not $5,000!!

No comments:

Post a Comment