Saturday, March 2, 2013

7 Weeks to Go & My First CrossFit Workout

Late is better than never, which is what this update is. It was a crazy week, but here I am!

I met with Jodi on Monday. Somehow I dropped down to 133.8 lbs and 19.2% bodyfat. I lost 4.6 pounds and 0.9% fat! I wish it was lost one pound and dropped 4.6% bodyfat. But losing is losing and I'll take it.

That said, Jodi is concerned that I may be burning through muscle with such a large weight loss. Minimal changes for this week:

Diet
Begin taking a fat burner again. I've been using Oxyelite. I also switched back to Jack3D from 1MR. Every few days, the 1MR gave me a weird diaper rash on my face and neck (great look) and made my skin crawl.

Workout
No changes -- keep cardio at 50 minutes 5x, plyos between sets, etc.

I've added shirataki noodles to my diet on the weekends. If you haven't tried the "Miracle Noodle" yet, I highly recommend it. It has no calories and essentially takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in. Follow me on Pinterest (allisonrjackson) for some great recipes, including chocolate cookies that are only 10 calories each. I have to forewarn you that since shirataki noodles are plant-based, it could upset your belly.

My First CrossFit Workout
I absolutely love trying new exercise classes. On my New Year's Resolution list this year was to take a CrossFit class (an aerial yoga class is on there, too). I finally got my chance today...and I loved it!!!

My Fit Mom friend (I should say ripped Mom friend) joined me for this new adventure. We trekked over to CrossFit Ignite in Park Ridge to try their 9:30am Saturday class. From the coaches to the others in class, this place rocked!! The workout was intense, but a welcomed change:

100 sit-ups
 5 burpees
10 kettlebell swings
20 kettlebell thrusters
30 lunges w/ plate overhead
40 down unders (jump rope double-time)
30 lunges w/ plate overhead
20 kettlebell thrusters
10 kettlebell swings
5 burpees
400 meter run

As I'm sitting here at 9pm, I can begin to feel my muscles ache. Love that! The great part about this "box" (CrossFit lingo for their gym) is how no frills it is. There is literally nothing shiny and new. It's as if you're working out in someone's garage. Music blaring "Highway to Hell," you have this awesome coach pushing you to lift more, dig deeper and move yourself further.

Here's a sample:


I definitely think I'll be making more visits to CrossFit Ignite, but not before I check out the other nearest CrossFit location to me, which is CrossFit (201). I'm interested to see if there is the same camaraderie and community. Regardless, now I finally know what the fuss and muss is about. Good stuff!!

I'm meeting with Jodi on Monday. In the mean time, I really need to pick a song for this T-Walk (the 90-second strut and pose) and see if a new bikini is in my future. Stay tuned...

Have you tried CrossFit? What did you think? (Give me your likes and dislikes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment