Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fitness Competition Prep Update: 11 Weeks Out

It's been over a week since I last checked in with Jodi, right before our Cape May getaway. I'm pleased to announce I dropped weight and bodyfat -- WOOHOO!!! Celebration time! I'm now 138.6 lbs and 21.5% bodyfat. I actually lost more than one percent bodyfat (1.1%). So Jodi left my diet and workout alone. It will be interesting to see if I keep losing or stay flat.

I found myself a little bit hungrier this week. It could be all those episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. I get hungry just thinking about it! So I've been trying to find snacks that I'm allowed to have while in contest prep mode. Here are two I'd like to share:

Kale Chips
For starters, I've never had kale. I just new it was a green and somewhat "furry." Wash it, dry it well and spread it out on a cookie sheet. Drizzle some olive oil, add salt and pepper. Then bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. The result? YUM!! It was incredible. Even my 5-year-old loved them. Although when I said "Kale Chips," she was sorely disappointed to see they didn't magically transform into potato chips. That didn't stop her from chowing down!

Celery & Salsa
I'm now keeping a small stash of celery readily available at all times. I find myself eating it while preparing dinner or watching the rest of the family indulge in ice cream. I tried Spike's Salsa and find it to be very tasty. I want to start making my own once my husband's garden is in full bloom. There's nothing better than fresh, homemade salsa!!  So dip that celery stalk in the jar of salsa and you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. Even my son, Mr. Picky Eater, seems to grab some when I'm snacking on it.

My weekly update wouldn't be complete without this week's cheat meal. My husband just received his early Father's Day gift -- a brand new Weber grill. So we had to christen is appropriately.

Cheat Meal

  • Rib Eye Steaks (and HUGE ones at that) with hubby's homemade rub
  • Sweet potato tater tots (just about polished off the entire bag myself, just sayin')
  • Asparagus
  • Light Coconut Almond Fudge ice cream by Turkey Hill in a wafer cone (by far, my absolute favorite ice cream)
  • Handful of Easter candy that included Peepsters (chocolate-covered marshmellow) and Dove dark chocolate eggs
I'm happy to report I didn't wake up with my usual food hangover. Yeah!! This week I'll be trying some new supplements that I just received. A new brand of Rhodiola and Assault, pre-workout supplement to replace Jack3D.

Stay tuned for more updates and recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment