Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fitness Competition Prep Update: 10 Weeks Out

Gulp, just 10 more weeks! I met with Jodi on Saturday (after getting my butt kicked at TRX). Unfortunately, I was flat. I gained half a pound (139.0 lbs.) and my bodyfat (21.5%) essentially stayed the same. BOO!! I was bummed to say the least, but not surprised since my diet and workout were unchanged from last week.

Lots of changes this week, here's what I'm doing:

  • Cardio is now 6x a week for 45 minutes
  • Morning snack is no longer protein bar, but 20 plain almonds
  • Lunch no longer includes brown rice, now it's 4 oz. sweet potato
  • Weight workout is the same, but now I do 30 seconds of plyometrics between each set
If I don't see major changes at next week's check-in, I'm in trouble!

Plyometrics 
If you're unfamiliar with plyometrics, according to Wikipedia, Plyometrics (also known as "plyos" and "jumping") is a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports. Plyometric exercises may also be referred to as explosive exercises. Plyometric movements, in which a muscle is loaded and then contracted in rapid sequence, use the strength, elasticity and innervation of muscle and surrounding tissues to jump higher, run faster, throw farther, or hit harder, depending on the desired training goal. Plyometrics is used to increase the speed or force of muscular contractions, providing explosiveness for a variety of sport-specific activities. Plyometrics has been shown across the literature to be beneficial to a variety of athletes. Benefits range from injury prevention, power development and sprint performance among others.


Examples of Plyometric Exercises

  • Squat jumps
  • Jumping alternately lunges
  • Burpees
  • Mountain climbers
  • Push up with a clap
My update wouldn't be complete without this week's cheat meal:

  • Popcorn at the circus
  • Five Guys Burgers & Fries (best hamburgers ever!)
    • Little Bacon Cheeseburger with french fries
  • Hershey's Dark Chocolate Miniatures (3)
  • (1) chocolate-covered strawberry
  • Handful of Reese's Pieces
  • (2) chocolate-covered pretzels
I thoroughly enjoyed my cheat and didn't even have a food hangover the next day!


An unexpected twist this weekend was joining my future sister-in-law and some of the bridal party to a "Bridal Roadshow" on Sunday morning. It would've been great fun...if I could've eaten the food everyone was enjoying! UGH!! You never realize how many experiences are food-based. This was definitely one of them. Even my 5-year-old was chowing down on bacon-wrapped scallops. Oh c'mon! I shoved pieces of gum in my mouth and sipped lemon water. Now I feel better that I did that after taking update pictures for this post. I'm still looking flabby as hell. Half of me is depressed and the other half is so fired up and ready to attack this week's diet and workout. Hopefully the driven half will win.


I received my 5-inch heels, which are hell to walk in. I'm not sure which is more nerve-wracking, knowing I have 10% of bodyfat left to lose, or the thought of snapping an ankle in a bikini. Hmm... I've been practicing for about 20 minutes each day. My calves are screaming for mercy. But I do see the difference the heels make in my legs. Here is the latest pic:




On another note, I really need to start tanning. Holy crap I'm white!


Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment