Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tempted By Good Food All Weekend...But I Survived!!

This weekend was a whirlwind of food, parties and off-schedule (timing-wise, not food-wise) eating.

Friday Night
Let's start with Friday night -- dinner with my BFF and a Swarkovski jewelry party immediately following. Remember, I saved my cheat meal for Saturday nights, so the pressure was on to eat good at a really nice restaurant that had amazing courses on the menu. Here's what I had:

- Diet soda & water
- Dry salad with lobster (okay, a bit of a cheat there), artichoke hearts, mushrooms, greens, cucumbers (delicious, I might add)
- Grilled chicken breast with roasted peppers, side of green beans
- Cappuccino w/ Splenda

I popped a piece of gum before the party to ensure I didn't eat, but ended up having two pieces of celery, which is okay.

Saturday
Ate my regular diet and made sure to pack a protein bar, powder and an apple in case of any emergency. Headed down to the shore and arrived at the birthday party around 3pm. Stayed for approx. 2 1/2 hours and had:

- Lots of diet Pepsi
- Two small plates of string beans
- Cucumber and peppers from the veggie platter
- Protein bar (started to get hungry, so discreetly ran to the car and scarfed a protein bar while every chowed down on birthday cake)

That definitely took willpower because the party had some of my absolute favorite foods -- baked brie, goat cheese, my mom's infamous BBQ beans, I could go on and on. I refused to start my cheat meal at 3pm and have it run well into the night.

Dinner was out at a seafood restaurant called The Octopus Garden for Leslie, my future sister-in-law's birthday, so I was ready to thoroughly enjoy my first cheat meal. I had:

- Red wine (okay, 3-4 glasses) and water
- 2 slices bread (did I mention it was warm?) with a homemade hummus dip
- Coconut shrimp appetizer (which I split with Leslie)
- Panko-crusted tilefish with green beans, broccoli and rice (I know, I know, sounds a lot like my regular diet!)

The table of five shared two giant desserts -- warm brownie ala mode and hot apple lasagna (think lots of apples, pastry and walnuts -- ala mode). Both were incredible and I enjoyed them with a capuccino

Sunday
Breakfast at IHOP turned out not to be as difficult as expected. They were great about customizing my order:

- Egg white veggie omelet
- 1/2 slide whole wheat bread
- side of banana
- coffee

On the way home from the shore, around 12:30pm, I had my protein shake and 1 tbsp peanut butter. Within 10 minute of getting home, I had to take my daughter, Madison, to a birthday party. I popped gum prior, to ensure no nibbling, and drank some water while I was there.

Lunch (at 4:30pm) included:
- Leftover chicken breast from Friday night
- 1 chopped tomato with balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 apple (it was really mealy so I threw it out)

Dinner ended up being at 8:30pm (long story):
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 1 cup string beans
- 1/2 cup brown rice

As I write this (10pm), I'm going to have my 4oz. of fat-free Greek yogurt. Whew! I need a weekend to recover from the weekend!

What I learned over the past week, which are key to staying focused and reaching my goal:
  • Don't let people talk you out of what you're supposed to do, which is stick to your eating plan
  • Have a game plan to ensure you don't fall off track -- planning ahead is key
  • Expect obstacles and have a way to overcome them
  • Look at restaurant menus with new eyes -- only focus on those items you can eat
  • Enjoy how your body changes and accept the compliments you get
  • Know you can do it!!!

More Diet Details
Some of my friends wanted more gory details on my diet (protein bar breakdown, etc.). Here it is for anyone interested:

  • Protein bar -- Calories = 190, Protein = 12g, Carb = 26g, Fat = 6g
  • Protein powder (1 scoop) -- Calories = 120, Protein = 10g, Carb = 18g, Fat = 1g
  • Total Daily Breakdown -- Calories = 1,453, Protein = 134g (36.4%), Carb = 185g (47.1%), Fat = 27g (16.5%)

This week hopefully won't have too many monkey wrenches. Tomorrow I'm going to measure to see if I've lost any inches. Saturday will be the true test...

No comments:

Post a Comment