Thursday, March 8, 2012

Supplements are Key to Muscle Gains

I'm nearly through week 2 of my competition diet. While the scale only shows a one-pound weight loss, a recent shopping trip proved I've actually dropped a dress size. Woohoo!! I'm sooo excited to see if I've actually reduced my bodyfat.

With that, I thought it would be helpful to review some of the supplements I'm taking since I think they're vital to keeping the muscle I'm trying to build. Here's what I'm currently taking:


Pre-Workout
  • Jack3D -- gives you energy to lift heavier and longer (love this stuff!!)
  • A-AKG -- workout pump and muscle development support
  • Recreate -- fat burner (the only one I've discovered that doesn't give me the jitters or make my heart race)
  • ECGC Boost by Solaray -- Green Tea & Yerba Mate -- more fat burning
  • BCAAs (Branch Chain Amino Acids) -- help retain and grow muscle (helps with soreness after intense weight training)

Post-Workout
  • BCAAs
  • Tonalin CLA -- supports reduction of bodyfat (again no jitters or heart racing)
  • Rhodiola -- helps reduce stress and improve your mood
  • Fish Oil -- supports eye, heart and bone health
  • Calcium Citrate -- maintain strong and healthy bones 
 
Other
  • Multivitamin -- I take this with breakfast since it gives me killer nausea.
  • Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein (2 scoops w/ 8oz. water as afternoon snack)
  • Power Crunch Protein Bar (morning snack)
  • Ibuprofen -- I just recently saw an orthopedist for some shoulder pain that I've had for a good two years now (don't ask). Anyway, he has me taking this anti-inflammatory to see if it helps. If it doesn't, then we move onto a cortisone shot. If that doesn't work, I may need surgery. Ugh! Fingers crossed that the ibuprofen does the trick.

So that's the laundry list. I really do think taking supplements is helping grow and retain muscle.

Stay tuned for an update after I meet my trainer on Sat. I'll let you know about my weight, bodyfat and any diet updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment